Virginia Tech School of Public and International Affairs
Job, Internship, and Fellowship Openings for Students and Alumni of the Virginia Tech School of Public and International Affairs
RK&K is hiring a Project Manager to join our Active Transportation team in Maryland. As a Project Manager on our Active Transportation team you will have the option to work from our Baltimore, MD, Washington, DC or Fairfax, VA office(s). As a Project Manager (PM) on this team you will be directly responsible for writing proposals, client relationship management and leading a team of active transportation planners on projects such as: bike/ped planning, landscape architecture for complete streets or greenways, trail master/park master feasibility studies and much more! Manage ongoing and pre-award municipal, state, and county projects.
- Manage various municipal, public, State projects related to bike/ped, multi-modal transportation, complete streets, active transportation and/or landscape architecture among others
- Proactively work with cross-functional teams and with our executive leadership to assume ownership of ongoing and pre-award projects.
- Produce professional active transportation documents, tools and presentations to be used for customer and public engagement ie. Committees, member agencies, working groups, community groups, private organizations and various members of the public.
- Develop, prepare, implement diverse range of active transportation projects
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team on projects ranging from concept to construction
- Demonstrate creativity and critical thinking in solving complex transportation challenges
- Research funding mechanisms for active transportation programs through local, state, and federal grants; participate in grant proposals; coordinate the submission of funding applications for project delivery, prioritization, and implementation steps
- Support project managers in crafting meeting materials, completing meeting minutes and public input summaries, drafting recommendations, and developing final plan documents
- Enjoy working with the public and engaging communities through a variety of avenues including pop-up events, open houses, and workshops
- 10+ years of progressive experience in active transportation planning and/or engineering and design
- Experience managing active transportation projects (bike/ped, multi-modal, complete streets, greenways)
- Experience developing and leading teams of engineers and planners
- Must have a portfolio and work samples
- Graphics Design - Must be proficient to above average in Adobe Creative Suite – InDesign report development, rendering, illustration etc.
- Demonstrated technical and non-technical professional writing
- Demonstrated knowledge of transportation design fundamentals
Required Education and Certifications
- BS in Urban & Regional Planning, Transportation Engineering, or related field
- Familiar with design guidelines (ie. AASHTO, NACTO, FHWA, ITE, MUTCD, ADA, etc…)
- Preferred Education and Experience
- Certified Planner or commensurate experience in Active Transportation field - AICP preferred
- GIS analysis skills and cartography – crash data, demographics
- Way finding and signage design/placement
- Publications, Documentation, and Presentation in the Active Transportation field
- Masters Degree in related field