Virginia Tech School of Public and International Affairs
Job, Internship, and Fellowship Openings for Students and Alumni of the Virginia Tech School of Public and International Affairs
Application deadline: June 18, 2023
Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
As a nation, we face many challenges that require public sector solutions. Trillions of dollars are projected to be spent on the infrastructure needed to decarbonize our economy, build necessary housing stock, and replace aging bridges and highways. However, the capacity of local, state, and federal government to cost-effectively build the things our society needs in a timely way has degraded significantly. Progress is hampered by the very policies and regulations that were meant to solve the challenges we face. We need to rebuild government’s ability to deliver tangible public value and its role in improving access to necessary services, infrastructure, and innovation.
As with many issues AV tackles, this is one where there is an emerging consensus between the left and the right that points towards the potential of bipartisanship. Arnold Ventures seeks to address this challenge: first by studying it and understanding its root causes, then by developing a thesis and evaluating the evidence to identify workable solutions, and finally to get those solutions translated into meaningful public policy.
We are seeking a Manager to work on the Infrastructure team to help manage new and emerging philanthropic investments, engage with stakeholders, monitor research and evidence, and support the identification, analysis, and pursuit of new, high-leverage grants opportunities. This position will be located in our Washington, D.C. office and report to the Executive Vice President of Infrastructure.
- In collaboration with the leadership of the Infrastructure team, identify, assess, and develop high-impact investment opportunities and recommendations for funding that support building more housing, clean energy, and transportation infrastructure in the United States.
- Prepare and present proposals to the Executive Vice President of Infrastructure, and Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors.
- Provide thought partnership to grantees on proposals, which will include working with grantees and partners to design and structure projects and deliverables, establish performance metrics, assist grantees in troubleshooting and overcoming obstacles, and monitor progress and impact.
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, experts, and new and existing grantees.
- Review, critique, and draft summaries of relevant legislation, policy and programming to inform strategic priorities, research agendas, and the development of future investments.
- Manage grants and investments, track progress and impact, and draw lessons from these investments to inform strategic priorities and the development of future investments.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 4 – 6 years of relevant work experience, preferably including experience with federal, state or local policy on issues related to clean energy, housing, or transportation infrastructure
- Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in policy, research, and legislative developments related to clean energy, housing, or transportation infrastructure
- Strong ability to analyze policy, research, and related data and information for strategic insights
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to summarize and communicate key takeaways to diverse, nontechnical audiences
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of Arnold Ventures’ work culture.
- We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity.
- We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback.
- We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects.
- We can interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and other stakeholders.
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: 06.18.2023