Virginia Tech School of Public and International Affairs
Job, Internship, and Fellowship Openings for Students and Alumni of the Virginia Tech School of Public and International Affairs
RK&K is hiring a creative and detail-oriented GIS Specialist/Cartographer in our Active Transportation Team. This is a unique opportunity for a self-starter with initiative to join the organization to help create and sustain the Geographic Information System (GIS) components of our bicycle/pedestrian/complete streets/active transportation projects. This is an extraordinary opportunity to combine your skillset in GIS with your passion for bike/ped and multi-modal transportation.
- Maintains a working knowledge of all active transportation programs and customers at RK&K
- Coordinates with multi-disciplinary divisions companywide on a wide array of transportation mapping and planning projects including transportation planners, engineers, designers, and architects
- Assists in developing, evaluating and planning new routes and altering existing routes
- Creates new and updates existing maps for both print and digital publication, for other departments, and for the website.
- Adapts and maintains all phases of our cartographic workflow.
- Assists in the development of digital production procedures and spatial databases.
- Assists in developing and maintaining new route research techniques in collaboration with staff and contractors.
- Experience with geodatabases and managing spatial data layers; using geoprocessing techniques to convert data between formats, transform data between spatial reference systems, and derive analysis products from data.
- Experience creating maps and routes for transportation related projects is a must
- Experience with the ESRI GIS platform and geodatabases, the Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Illustrator and InDesign, and Avenza MaPublisher.
- Possess a visual sense and have knowledge of map design and layout skills, and knowledge of cartography.
- Strong interpersonal skills – a person who generates trust and shares knowledge with other staff and the occasional volunteers they will work with.
- Team player who enjoys working and communicating with others, well-organized and able to meet deadlines while working under pressure.
- Familiarity with PostGIS databases and Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity in production workflows for offset printing.
- Familiarity with GPS use for mapping data collection.